The Excitement of Life

The most exciting part of life is that it goes on. That you have to enjoy while you are still fighting with the daily routine. That it is possible to be alive and happy in the world where everything may seem to be wrong. This is the beauty of it all.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Clothes!!! Me???

As soon as I wrote the title to this post I realized that someone would think that this is about the nudist line of thought...

As much as I may want to be at the recieving end of the nudist view, I don't have a body to desire to be a part of the nudist camp myself... This post is definitely not about the nudist way of life.

This post is about the fact that clothes don't matter to me that much... I was wearing a very loose shirt today. I know that with my frame, it looks as if the shirt has been put on a hanger, but I still decided to wear it... Why? because, otherwise I will have to throw away a good piece of cloth and unnecessarily create more pollution (that goes into making fabrics these days) and increase costs (by creating more demand for new clothes).

So, why hit-out on someone who may not have enough to purchase a shirt even at its present prices and the thousands of people who are living in the negative impact of immense pollution that the textiles industry (by dyeing and tanning etc.) causes everywhere in India (wherever they are located).

So, to me, fashion and my looks are secondary. It is important that I don't spoil someone else's life simply because I wanted to look better to people who are not actually impacted by my looks :-)... Thinking about how I am looking would only be a passing thought. I hope that people keep my company not for how I look but for how I bring more joy and happiness to their lives.

If all of us wear our clothes just 10 more times before disposing them off, we would definitely bring about a perceptible change in lives of many people who are living under the burden of our high consumption.

2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Shantanu said...

wouldnt donating the shirt be more helpful in a more direct way ??

I agree that every drop in a ocean helps, but a drop to a parched throat would be much more useful in my opinion.

Cheers

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Anuj said...

hi Santanu,

It will definitely help 1 person - directly.

But I will not be sure if he is the most needy one. It will only be a quick-fix solution. It would not solve the bigger problem arisen out of consumerism (rather in one way it would add to it).

Earth has limited resources, if all of us limit our consumption even by small amounts, it will make a big difference to the sustainability of the planet...

Check out http://www.myfootprint.org

cheers,

Anuj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home